web hit counter
Nature

Why is genomics important?

why genomics

Genomics is the branch of science  that studies the genome-the genetic material, or blue print, of a human, or other species. It helps us to understand the working of the organism, and what happens when certain genes interact with one another, and the environment.

People are 99.9 per cent identical in their genetic make-up, but differences in the remaining 0.1 percent hold important clues about health and disease.

By studying genomics and the interaction with the environment, health care professionals will be able to better understand why some people get sick from certain infections, environmental factors, and behaviours, while others do not.

The genomics revolution started around ten years ago with the completion of the human genome project.

Leave a Comment