Obninsk was established in 1946 based a decree by Josef that a secret laboratory to carry out research in nuclear physics should be built on the left bank of the Protva River, A tributary of the Oka.
The facility was built in secrecy, and even workers did not know exactly what they ware constructing. German scientists captured during the war, along with their Soviet colleagues, came to work in this organization.
As a result, the world’s first nuclear power plant was unveiled here in 1954- in the midst of the Cold War.
For around for years, till the opening of Siberian Nuclear Power Station, Obninsk reminded the only nuclear power reactor in the Soviet Union. The power plant remained active until April 29, 2002, when it was finally shut down.